The water jet cutting industry has gone through many technological changes over its existence enabling more products and industry applications. For a long time, 3-axis cutting was the industry standard and capability of most water jet cutting systems – and for many applications, this was a more than adequate solution. That is still true today in many products and/or applications.
However, as the industry has evolved to provide more solutions to more companies, the needs of many end-users have become greater and more complex. Enter 5-axis water jet cutting systems. 5-axis water jet cutting systems have opened a whole variety of new cutting techniques and solutions making cutting more efficient, more effective, and significantly speeding up lead times for end products. What about 5-axis enables these advances? What are the specific advantages of 5-axis cutting over traditional 3-axis systems? Let’s explore.
The Limitations of 3-Axis Systems
For a long time 3-axis systems were the cutting edge of water jet system technology. Even today, they are still extremely capable cutting systems allowing for high quality, accurate cuts. However, due to the nature of 3-axis, they have limitations that restrict their abilities in certain situations. For example, 3-axis systems are great for straight cuts. However, if certain finishing techniques are required, they are unable to provide this during the cutting process. Techniques like beveling, chamfering, and contour cutting are not possible on traditional 3-axis systems. For these applications, turn to 5-axis systems.
The Advantages of 5-Axis Waterjet Cutting Machines
5-axis systems opened up a variety of new cutting techniques specifically designed to help you cut faster, more efficiently, and output a more complete product. Here are just some of the advantages to 5-axis systems:
- More Angles, More Complex Cuts
- 5-axis machines allow you to cut a significantly greater number of angles opening new cutting possibilities in the process like beveling, contouring, and chamfering. They also allow for significantly more complex cuts that will help you get your part closer to net size – significantly reducing the amount of machining that a part will require after cutting. This reduces CNC time and tooling costs on top of saving time.
- Cleaner Cuts for Weld Prep
- 5-axis systems enable cleaner cutting techniques which are a fantastic fit for weld preparation. Traditional methods like grinding can be loud and messy, and often don’t produce clean surfaces for welding. By using a 5-axis water jet system, you’ll get super clean surfaces that are ready to weld right off the table -another time saving solution.
- Reduces or Eliminates Taper in Water jet Parts
- 5- axis will allow you to compensate for the taper of the water jet. If you are cutting thicker material this will allow you to increase the speed at which you will be able to cut the part while maintaining the geometric accuracy. This can have significant impact on cut times – especially when cutting thicker material, making your shop more efficient and productive.
Talk to Your Supplier
Talk to your supplier before making a purchasing decision. 5-axis cutting systems are more capable, but that also comes at a higher price. Talking to your supplier about your specific product and/or application will allow them to find the right cutting table and pump that fits your needs.
Check Out Our Digital Brochure!
Since 1984, Jet Edge has been designing and manufacturing Ultra-High-Pressure Water jet technology that doesn't back down. Our systems are used around the world in a broad range of industries from the world's leading airlines, to automotive, aerospace and industrial manufacturers, and machine job shops.
To learn more about the Jet Edge difference, our water jet motion systems, pumps and much more, click the button "Download Brochure" to get it now!